1) What changes would you expect to see in Figure 18 if the
authors had used crude incidence rates instead?
2) The measure YLD reported in section 13 of Part 3 is similar
to the DALY measure in Gordis.
3) Explain why diseases such as heart disease and cancer (which
are leading causes of death worldwide) rank lower than things like
unipolar depressive disorders and hearing loss when we look at
4) Examine the results for Alzheimer’s and other dementias in
Table 7. Which regions have the highest rates and which have the
lowest? What factors could help explain these results?
5) Examine the results for “Hearing loss” in Table 9. Would it
be correct to state that the risk of hearing loss increases with
age? Explain why or why not. 6) What questions did you have about
the Unit 1 material (if you don’t have any, it is okay or if you
think of one later and add it as a reply that is fine too.)