1.Essay Title should include the health issue (TUBERCULOSIS) target population group and the area (LONDON BOROUGH OF NEWHAM). London or New York based papers should look at the boroughs; elsewhere you can just look at the whole city as one study unit.
2.Introduction brief overview of the urban health issue and signposting to show the sections you will include in the work.
3.Rationale of why this is an urban health issue identify and explain the evidence including epidemiological data you will use to show why this is an urban health problem.
4.Explain the urban context and determinants that you will look at to explain the impact on the health issue. If you are looking at the same topic and borough as before you can draw on the Urban Health Profile. Remember to draw on the wider context including London if you are looking at a London borough.
5.Identify and explain the public health consequences and implications of this urban health problem that impact on the general populations on the individual and on the health services.
6.Explain what strategies and interventions for addressing this urban health problem you will critique in the paper.
7.What recommendations and conclusions you expect to make?
On successful completion of the essay the following criterias have to be meet:
1. Seek handle and interpret literature and materials on health and healthcare in global cities like London 2. Discuss the links between the determinants of health and population health in urban settings 3. Discuss factors pertaining to the organisation and delivery of health services in cities 4. Analyse healthcare services for a population group in line with London Health Commission principles or strategies used in other cities 5. Analyse urban health using appropriate theory and policy materials related to health promotion
Essential Readings in Preparation for Final Essay .
The following are readings that can help you to think about why the problem you are studying is an urban health issue. Readings these is not compulsory but could be very helpful. Click on the link if you wish to read all or some of the readings:
1. The Urban Health Advantage
2. Urbanisation Urban city and Health
3. Beyond Deprivation and Health in UK Cities
4. Urban Conditions and Population Health
5. Cities and Public Health Crises