Assignment 2: Telecommunication Technology and the Delivery of Health Services Scholarly Paper (30 points)
In healthcare today, many patients/clients are increasing using remote telehealth applications (mHealth) for monitoring their health status. At the same time, in clinics and hospitals, primary care providers (PCPs) including master’s prepared nurses are being challenged by patient/client questions concerning healthcare-related information and practices reported on the Internet. This assignment relates to telehealth care, the impacts of telehealth on the master’s prepared nursing role, and the use of standards to evaluate and recommend credible websites to patients.
In this paper, students will examine telehealth, discuss one specific emerging telehealth tool, and identify implications of how telehealth impacts emerging telehealth nursing roles. Students will also use standard criteria to identify credible websites for a selected telehealth population and design a teaching plan to empower this population to evaluate health information on the Web.
Students will develop a scholarly paper composed and organized to include:
I. Telehealth Care and Telenursing (1-5)
1. Discuss the clinical and non-clinical uses of telehealth care and telenursing technology and provide examples
2. Identify the most current professional, ethical, and required safety and security provisions/standards for telehealth applications:
a. Professional e.g., telenursing professional organizations
b. Ethical (including the American Nurses Association’s Code for Nurses with Interpretive Statements)
c. Legal (including “Meaningful Use” according to American Recovery and Reinvestment Act [ARRA])
d. Regulatory (address nursing licensure requirements for telenursing practice such as the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact)
3. Generate a table showing the major benefits and current challenges to adoption of telehealth applications for both healthcare professionals and patients/consumers. Support benefits and challenges with references within the table.
4. Analyze how telehealth affects patients’ empowerment and patients’ engagement in their own health
5. Discuss how the master’s prepared nurse in an advanced practice role would evaluate the quality and effectiveness of a telehealth tool utilized by patients and families
II. Telehealth Applications for a Population (6-7)
6. Identify one specific remote monitoring system/telehealth tool appropriate for a selected patient population using telehealth applications.
a. Describe the tool’s purpose
b. Identify which standardized nursing and medical language(s) are captured by this tool
c. Explain how the selected telehealth tool addresses each of the three dimensions of the IHI Triple Aim
• Access the Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s [IHI] website at https://www.ihi.org/Engage/Initiatives/TripleAim/Pages/default.aspx
d. Explain how the master’s prepared nurse will be impacted by the telehealth application
7. Analyze the role of the telenurse in using and educating the patient about this specific telehealth tool
a. What training would be needed by the telenurse and patient?
b. What equipment would be required by the patient?
c. How will the nurse use this system?
d. What data will be monitored by the telenurse?
e. What actions will the nurse take in response to transmission and monitoring of patient data?
f. How would the nurse assess the patient and family’s response to this telehealth tool?
III. Evaluating Health-Related Websites for Populations (8-10)
8. Identify two credible health-related web sites for the preferred patient population useful to ensuring this population’s health status
9. Explain why (what specific aspects/parts of the website) the master’s prepared nurse would recommend these websites to this population.
a. Assess and report the reading level (readability) of information presented on one page from each website.
b. Cite the tool used to assess readability levels
10. Present a content outline of a teaching plan to educate these patients about how to select a reputable and credible health website to manage their health.
a. Reference the health website evaluation criteria for ensuring trustworthiness of the information
b. Cite sources
11. The scholarly paper should be in narrative format, 6 to 8 pages excluding the title and reference page.
12. Include an introductory paragraph, purpose statement, and a conclusion.
13. Include level 1 and 2 headings to organize the paper.
14. Write the paper in third person, not first person (meaning do not use ‘we’ or ‘I’) and in a scholarly manner. To clarify: I, we, you, me, our may not be used. In addition, describing yourself as the researcher or the author should not be used.
15. Include a minimum of four professional peer-reviewed scholarly journal references to support the paper (review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) and be less than five (5) years old.
16. APA format is required (attention to spelling/grammar, a title page, a reference page, and in-text citations).
17. Submit the assignment to Turnitin Direct prior to the final submission, review the originality report, and make any needed changes.
18. Submit to the Assignment Drop Box by the posted due date.